NJINIKOM:UNCELEBRATED HEROIN MASTERMINDS PUBLIC HYGIENE AND SANITATION


Few years back, Njinikoms daughter of the soil, PHD student in nursing based in the United States of America challenged the Njinikom home based elite and put up a modern public toilet at the heart of the Njinikom market, second to none in the NW Region. The last quarter of 2015 saw her introducing an expansion of the project to the community, wherein individuals can now own their private toilets worth the sort in a bit to check the recurrent intestinal and health problems that come with poor sanitation. On the eve of the international women’s day, we at theeyeopener24 have decided to celebrate this unsung heroin of Njinikom sub division by publishing this interview we had with her way back in December 2015 in Bamenda Cameroon as our way of celebrating the values of a woman. Just to add councillors of Njinikom council recently recognised her in absentia in a council session for spearheading sanitation in Njinikom.

Theeyeopener24: Why have you decided to personalise public hygiene and sanitation in Njinikom?

IRIN NJUAKOM As someone who is in the health field, knowing what it is to be in the health field, knowing what it is to be in a clean and unclean environment.  When you get the history of diseases in your community especially in a village community like ours where you get phone calls from friends and relatives on daily bases telling you of deaths resulting from stomach pain, consulted a traditional doctor who operates without any diagnosis. In a situation where the rate of illiteracy is very high, people have limited knowledge of medical science and the changing environment or lack the knowledge to draw the dichotomy of a clean and unclean environment they can’t know the benefit of a clean environment one needs to ponder how to help!


Theeyeopener24: What is that thing that pricked you directly?

IRIN NJUAKOM I had an interaction with Sister Xavaria Nteimusi, the then Matron of St Martin the Pores hospital Njinikom. When I asked for the diagnostic manual and the statistics of mortality rate, kind of recurrent diseases and I realised that basic preventable disease were very common coupled with the poor nutrition. I discovered that everything was kept on a time bomb. I took off by enrolling people on the Mutual help insurance scheme hoping that it will help the situation and it did not work out because 38 people that I enrolled could not renew the insurance and told sister that they were waiting for me to renew the scheme. This was wrong. This was not my vision. I was frustrated and the matron too. I meet with the people later that year and discovered that they were even able and healthy people. When I went around the community, saw and took photos of children with big stomachs, taunted kids, I said to myself that I must do something better than the insurance scheme and thats where I took the public sanitation approach because the greatest harm to health is bacteria, when the environment is contaminated, nobody is save.

Theeyeopener24: After the realisation of the public toilet, it appears you are drifting from the central toilet to a situation where most individuals can have a toilet. What justifies this drift?

IRIN NJUAKOM People have to get their own toilets for us to have a healthy environment. My research on shared toilets shows that though with a public toilet, for us to have a clean environment, individuals must have their own residential toilets within their homes. Sanitation in Europe was worse than what we have in kom today. Primary care should be our prime focus and for us to introduce this, we need to focus on sanitation, hygiene in the homes. Shared toilets are not good. If many people use the same toilet with no good care, diseases will be recurrent. If there is a toilet in every home, it’s more centralised and you can prevent diseases. For us to have a clean environment and for us to be healthy and stop going to the hospital for the same thing and dying from something that is easily preventable, what will happen if cholera hits? We can prevent these by keeping our environment clean and that begins by reducing open defecation. Advanced countries have moved away from this and are now focusing on longevity. Inadequate sanitation affects all facets of life.so my goal is to reduce by half inadequate sanitation with the Njinikom council enforcing the laws. Here, I think we are in the right step.

 Theeyeopener24: You are resident in the USA and you are implementing this project here in Njinikom, how will you coordinate the activities to make the project work?

IRIN NJUAKOM   It’s a partnership approach with the Njinikom council and the IRINA project initiative. We come in with the little money we have and the council, through its sanitary team enforces the laws that are already existing to make the project work. The public toilet is doing well and I do not need to be physically present for things to work. I have a committed team that do not operate I work! I have supplied a good stock of disinfectants, toilet papers, dispensers, sprays, cleaning equipment and liquid soaps. I have told my home based team to wait for me, I need reports with copies to the mayor. I interact with my team on frequent base so sustainability is not a problem. Each time my team is sending a report to me, a copy must be deposited with the mayor.

 Theeyeopener24: what is the level of community response to your initiative? Are you a satisfied person?

IRIN NJUAKOM One thing about me is that I love doing charity work. Some of my relative call me “charity”. Nothing makes me happier than when I’m doing something to help another person. That’s me. I do not take pride in things like this but it keeps me going. when I read the comments of the visitors book at the public toilet in the market, they speak of excitement, surprise and some visitors from Holland and could not believe that such a facility exist in Njinikom. i was surprise that when maimi Sunday Ngam visited us in USA, she came looking for me and said Njiinikom people are mouthy now because they now have a public toilet. The people are proud of it. I need people to use it especially on market days. i intend to conduct a research on how the toilet contributes the market now and to fine out if the toilet has cause many people to transact in the market now.

Theeyeopener24: how many people shall benefit from this residential toilet project this 2016?

IRIN NJUAKOM As many as I can provide. I was thinking of 20 and has back out of that taught. The partnership approach of cash and kind contributions will determine how many people to benefit. If we have more people with in kind contributions for their individual toilets, that will be better. It’s a 5-10yr project.so long as we can do aggressive education, we believe many individuals will signed up for their individual toilets.



Theeyeopener24: Apart from master minding public sanitation and hygiene, what are you in for?

IRIN NJUAKOM I do not sleep! I have all kinds of projects in my mind for Njinikom and kom as a whole. At times I want to do a public library in which I have thousands of books already here in Njinikiom. If I had a piece of land, I would have loved to do and elders day care centre. If I had enough finance I would put all these dreams of mine to reality. You have to take care of children and the elderly too. They are very dear to my heart. I do annual charity too to orphans through food donations, toys and soup.



Theeyeopener24: you are based in the USA where many sons and daughters from Njinikom are based. What is their response to your initiative?

IRIN NJUAKOM They are very impressed. Most of the people I have talked to say it is a good and marvellous initiative. Some of them tell me they can now visit Njinikom frequently because of the public toilet as opposed to the past because some of them do not have toilets in their homes. Some say I like drinking in Njinikom, but where to urinate is a problem adding that their worries have all been sold with the public toilet now. For now, the initiative is solely my sponsorship. Some of my 5 colleagues now want to help and a church called salvation church of god. I opened go fund me and it fetched me only 90dollars and that’s nothing. I send out fundraising emails to every kom man or woman, boy or girl, I saturate their inbox but did not get any response.im proud to have one friend in the name of Kenneth Mbah who chips in something annually like 250 dollars last year and that great. I just need a handful of friends like Kenneth and we shall move mountains. The residential project is long term and if people can help with materials, stones, wood donated, we shall spend less.

Theeyeopener24: Are you preparing the way to join politics?

IRIN NJUAKOM I wish I was a politician.  To be honest with you jean, I have taught about that. Some of these politicians use the peoples vote for personal gains and this makes me sick. Politics in Cameroon like elsewhere is never the best game. i go to occasions and people introduce me as future parliamentarian. If one day, I came to ask for their votes, I will be doing that to give them back to them through more project realisation just like those I’m doing for now.




Theeyeopener24: what is your message to the entire Njinikom community, home and abroad?

IRIN NJUAKOM Any Njinikom man or woman like to talk. Let’s do it now. Let’s swing into action and be proactive, transform words into action, let’s get into the habit of doing things for our own community and people. The elderly, children and the malnourished. There is nothing greater than living in harmony and solidarity. Let’s be our brothers and sisters keeper. Development associations can contribute by helping with community work. It’s all about us. I want a mentality change from thinking about “Munyongo money”. All at home could want to go to America, Britain, and Germany because somebody built it to be good, beautiful and conducive the way they are now. I am an American citizen, but that is not my home! Home is home I want to make my home good such that others will want to come here to and I will be proud to receive the person. In as much as we criticise the president of Cameroon and his government as guilty of bribery and corruption, those of us who are in a position to help should try our own. When we start asking yourself what I have done, we shall have a better security and a better kom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DO NOT TREAT US AS UNDERDOGS AND BEGGERS----NW CAMASEJ PRESIDENT!

Party, Contribution Cards will determine true Militancy in the CPDM-Hon. Waingeh

Traditional rulers told to be active in development activities